Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Kids in the Kitchen ...

Okay - yesterday I posted about the "3 ingredient dinner challenge" we are doing in our home.  The kids cooked last nite.  And the verdict... not bad for a first!

Ingredients:  ground deer meat, noodles, and sauce
The noodles they chose together was a combo of fettucine and spaghetti  (there wasn't enough fettucine to serve all of us).

Sarah decided for the sauce since she is not a marinara fan  - that she was going to make a traditional Bechamel sauce with parm cheese and add a little marinara at the end to create her version of a Rosa sauce.


Jacob decided he wanted to take a spin off  chicken parm and make a sort of meatloaf patty out of the deer meat, bread and pan fry the patties.  He seasoned the breading with garlic granules, and a mexican seasoning mix my brother Rusty made when he visited not long ago.   (I know right - mexican flavored meat with bechamel sauce - weird concoction - but thats what you get when kids cook).    The mix is wonderful and I would give it to you, but I wasn't total in the room when he took my spices to mix - I can tell you that it is like full bottles of several spices - including chili powder, garlic, onion powder, some cumin and a couple of other ingredients that I can't remember.  I will have to get the information from him because it is excellent with boneless, skinless chicken tacos.


The dish was tasty, although I think the meat was a bit "heavy" for my normal eating.  But the kids did a good job coming up with their own recipes and managed to cook the entire dinner by themselves and no body got hurt or sick from the food.  Just kidding, my kids cook often and rarely is there any negative side effects. 

Now, the grand finale... the final dish, including a peice of asiago french bread with garlic butter....


Round two of 3 ingredient challenge coming soon.  Stay tuned.  Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! So fun! I love that your kids were so into it! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using 3 ingredients makes for a fun challenge!!

    I guess I can add "kids eventually cooking" to my pros of having human children list! :P

    Thanks for commenting on our blog today!

    ReplyDelete