Monday, May 16, 2011

3 Ingredient Dinners ....

Okay, our family is starting a new weekly tradition.  Keep in mind my kids are 17 and 13 and I have had them in the kitchen cooking with me since they were little. 



I have a Facebook Friend that I met through another cooking facebook page.  He lives in upstate New York, sings, cooks, has a farm, and is a psychologist.(http://cooperboone.com/) has recently started a 3-ingredient challenge for himself.  During this challenge, his Facebook friends, comment on his status 3 ingredients.  He takes all the lists of ingredients, keeping the 3 you put in together into a hat/bowl and picks out 1 set of ingredients that he cooks with that night.  Sometimes its dinner, sometimes dessert - depends on the ingredients.  But all 3 have to be used in 1 single dish. 

Well our family is doing a take-off of this idea.  We are doing a 3 ingredient challenge - where each of the 4 of us make a list of 3 things that we currently have on-hand in the house.  We fold them up, put them in a cup and pick out one list of 3 ingredients and thats what we have for dinner.  We were going to do our first this Sunday after church... so Saturday night we made our lists and had the kids draw out the winning ingredients so that if we had to thaw something out we would have time before dinner Sunday.  My 13 year old son - Jay picked his own list. 

At first the list seems mundane ... ground deer meat, noodles and spaghetti sauce.  Until I told them that it could not be typical spaghetti .   Oh, any that my kids were going to cook the meal by themselves.   They are pretty excited

But Sunday at church, my sister and brother in law invite us to their home for Sunday dinner.  So they got one night of repreieve.  Although they already have an idea that they want to try...

My son thinks they can make a knock off of chicken parm with ground deer meat, using cornmeal as a breading.  He actually wanted to take some corn on the cob that I have that needs to be cooked really soon and grind up the kernels to make homemake cornmeal.  I am thinking this is a little bit overzealous for his first dinner by himself.  But, if all else fails we can always have PB&J. 



I am planning on the kids making their meal tonite, eventhough my husband has to go out of town for business overnight.  I will post pictures of the finish product, with review and next weeks 3 ingredient combo.  Wish me luck... and if I never post again, you know this wasn't a good idea....  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment