Friday, April 1, 2011

Mic Stand

Okay .... been a while. its been hectic at our place.  At Christmas, all that know my daughter know that she loves to sing.  We have Rock Band for the Wii and she has always wanted to play guitar and sing at the same time ... so I had this wild idea to make her a mic stand.  This is how I did it.

Supplies:

1" PVC pipe
3 - 1" Tee
4 - 1" End Caps
1 - 1" 45 deg fitting
1 - 1" coupling
1 - 1" x 3/4" reducer
pipe cutters
Pipe glue
tape measure
One Mic clip - from music store (Approx $5-7)
Spray paint of your choice

First cut 6 length - I use approximately 6" for each.

These will make the base of the stand. glue the PVC pieces into the TEE.  When you glue - glue both inside the TEE and the outside of the pipe - and twisti as you puch the pipe into the TEE so that you have good contact.  Make sure that it is pushed in all the way, you may have to hold it a few seconds for the glue to set up a bit so that it doesn't "push" back out.  When you are finished with this step you should have 3 pieces that look like the picture below.


Now you are going to connect all three together in the same process as before so that they look like this picture.


Next we need a length of the pipe approximately 4 - 5' tall - depending on the total height needed at the end.  Once that is cut - you glue it into your base.


As you can see in the above pict - after glueing it into your base, then attached the 45, making sure that it in inline with the base that everything is straight.  After glueing all the pieces together, but another piece of PVC approximately 1 - 1/2' long and glue it into the other end of the 45.

Now depending on your mic clip you might have to alter the next steps to fit your clip.  I needed a 1 " coupling to attached to my pipe (which I glued), Then I attached a 1" x 3/4" reducer because the mic clip was not exactly 1" in diameter.After I glued everything together, including the mic clip, I let it set overnight to ensure that the glue was good and set.

The next day I took my little can of black sparkling spray paint and voila ...

My daughter, who is a 17 yr old - thought this was the best gift she has ever gotten for Christmas or her birthday in her entire life (okay so she can be a little dramatic  - what teenage girl isn't from time to time). 

I gotta be honest ... this is one present here it is April and she is still using it.  And the entire project only cost me about $15 - 20, that including the mic clip and spray paint which, I could have used a can I had sitting around but decided to splurge on the sparkle.

Hope you enjoyed... I have another project getting ready to be posted - artwork crosses.  Come back and visit - you might like it. 


1 comment:

  1. Awesome job on the mic stand! It actually looks like you know what you are doing!! Love you girl!
    (jacshembree.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete